Monday, November 15, 2010

We're Moving...FINALLY!

It has been 18 months since Pete began his weekly commutes to Charleston, SC and I am happy to report that we will soon all be residing in the same zip code again. For those that follow on Facebook, you might remember a slightly frazzled status update 10 days ago about how I had a showing between 4-6 (2 hour warning given). Izzy was having a new friend over after school that day and I tried to reach the mom, but was unable. So then I tried to push the showing back until after 5:30 and the agent said it was either the scheduled time or I would miss out. He said his clients were looking at houses and needed to make a decision within the next two days. ...scheduled showing it would be.

The couple then came back for a second showing on Saturday.

Sunday night at 9 (felt like 10 because of DST) the phone rings. Pete told me the number and I realized it was our agent. She had an offer - and while it wasn't great, it was an offer. They wanted the fridge. Fine. They wanted to close on Nov. 30. Not fine!

Monday morning we sent a counter offer. They countered. We accepted. This process took all of 45-60 min. Easy.

The kids didn't have school on Thursday (11-11-2010) because of Veterans Day so I picked up a couple redbox movies, stuck em' in the car and head to Charleston to look at some properties on. It was on this drive that I also took the time to explain to them that we would be moving. I had been hoping to hold off until after the inspection, but with all the phone calls, planning and viewing properties it just wasn't realistic. Drew didn't really have reaction, other then ask if the Wii would be making the move? Izzy took it really well as well. I didn't go into too many details but she is aware that she won't be in Greensboro for Christmas. We did however, promise her we would come back to celebrate her birthday in February.

I looked at some houses to rent as well as to buy. We decided to rent for 12 months. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the house we wanted to rent has gone into foreclosure so I need to find another one. I *think* I found one and will have Pete check it out this week for us. In all the crazy of the weekend, Pete somehow promised the kids bunk beds. I HATE bunk beds! ...and now we will be getting a set. Great. Oh well...they want to share a room when we move so bunk beds it will be. Once we actually buy a house they will have their own rooms, but for now they are excited to share a room and I think it brings them comfort to sleep with one another. I think it is great as it frees up a room for guests! ...start planning those beach trips friends/family because we are ready to have visitors ASAP :-)

As it stands...we were going to go to Destin, FL to be with my family for Thanksgiving but will now be staying here. We have an upcoming inspection as well as any repairs that need to be made no later than Nov. 25th. We still don't have word on a moving package, but what I do know is that I WON'T be doing the packing.

Drew is enrolled in a preschool in Mt. Pleasant already. He was enrolled last Feb. I based our house rental on the elem. school I want Izzy to attend. So, I am feeling good about the kids and their schools. In a weird twist of events, friends of ours from Cleveland just moved to Mt. Pleasant about 5 weeks ago and they have a daughter who will be in kindergarten at the same school as Izzy. We were able to hang out with them over the weekend and the girls had a blast! I think that will help Izzy with her transition into a new school.

There is certainly lots to do, but we are very excited to all be reunited in our new town soon...and be able to start 2011 together!!

3 comments:

Jac said...

I'm excited for your move and that you'll be together under the safe roof again! Can't wait to visit!

~aj~ said...

I know it will be a lot of work, but this is all incredibly exciting. Isn't it amazing how all the pieces just come together? So happy for you all!

pete said...

Let me correct an earlier statement made by my wife....by visits ASAP, she means "2012"