Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Girl Talk

Tonight after reading to Izzy we just sat and had some good old fashion girl talk. It started by her telling me that a friend of a neighbor was mean to her on the bus. I asked what he said and she didn't want to tell me. I could tell she was uncomfortable so I asked her if he told her something mean? I explained that is what boys do when they like a girl :) It ended up that she was scratching just above her lip and he said she was picking her nose. My immature advice to her was to say, "This isn't picking my nose...THIS is picking my nose (while putting her finger far up her nose!).

We also talked about various kids in her class and who is "good" and "bad" and why we think some of the "bad" kids behave the way they do. I know a couple of the "bad" kids have less than ideal situations at home and told Izzy I thought some of that might contribute to their behavior. We then talked about ways to be a better friend. It was such a fascinating conversation to have with my 7 year old.

Not all of the conversation was serious though. We discussed a friend from last year who has "dated" two of the boys in her current class. Izzy even used the words "broke up" and "ex-boyfriend" in the same sentence! My daughter, who I thought was somewhat naive, has been crushing on a boy named Ty (Uncle Wes got to meet him when he came to lunch at Izzy's school on his last visit) and tonight she told me that he really likes her too! I asked her how she knew and she said, "Because today he told me that I smelled like an old sock!" Yup...that means he likes you alright cause in first grade you just don't openly tell someone such nonsense - heck a friend might find out!

I think I am going to start putting Izzy to bed even earlier than her 7:00 bedtime just so we can spend a few minutes each night catching up on the day's gossip!

0 comments: