Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Thanksgiving Vacation - Destin, FL

We packed up the car and made the 11+ hour to Destin, FL to meet up with my side of the family for Thanksgiving. Uncle Wes has a really nice house just two blocks from the ocean. We had visions of days spent lounging on the beach, instead there were record lows :(

We had promised the kids that as soon as we got to Uncle Wes's place we would immediately go to the beach. Staying true to our word we parked the car, took a tour of the house and headed to the beach. It was almost dark and not more then 50 degrees, but my kids stripped down to undies and headed for the water.

Wes lives in a great location that has lots of high end shops as well as outlets close by. Since it was too cold to swim we spent alot of time shopping. Shopping, eating and just hanging with family. Omi and Papa as well as Uncle Andy were also at Uncle Wes's pad. There was always someone to entertain one of my kids and for me that was a treat! Another treat was that Uncle Wes likes to eat really good food (and is a damn fine cook) and drink really yummy wine. I was lovin the Destin accomodations for sure!

Join me if you will in a picture recap of our trip...

We drove as far as Atlanta the first day and then stayed at a hotel right by the airport. The kids were able to see one of the runways from our room.
Photobucket

Settling in for a quick show before lights out (who are we kidding, Drew is the LAST to fall asleep in a hotel room!)
Photobucket
Drew also did not sleep on his air mattress but instead slept in his pack-n-play. I want it noted that was his choice as he is clearly too big for it - that was also his last trip of using a pack-n-play.

The Beach. It was so cold. I have no idea how the kids were able to be wearing swimsuits. I should have taken pictures of the people walking by wearing Uggs and winter coats staring at my kids in disbelief.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Check out this Baywatch shot...
Photobucket

And his wind blown hair (cold and windy!)
Photobucket

I love this shot. I have no idea why he started crying, but it wasn't because he was hurt but rather something along the lines of "a wave washed away my sand castle" type thing?
Photobucket

We played at the outdoor mall playground numerous times.
Photobucket

Drew got to make his first Build A Bear creation. He LOVED it. Meet Beary Bear and Brown Sugar.
Photobucket

We took a trip to Bass Pro and met up with the big guy himself. I had NO idea that he was there, or that both my kids would be so anxious to sit on his lap. ...if I would have known then I would have put them in something much cuter!
Photobucket

Izzy was also able to snuggle up with her most favorite Christmas character.
Photobucket

The day after Christmas we decorated Uncle Wes's Christmas tree.
Photobucket

We went to visit some of my brother's friends and watch the sunset and ran into a balloon making pirate.
Photobucket

Finally, we were going to get some family pictures with the water setting out over the Gulf, only to have my camera die after this shot. I am really sad because this would have been a really good picture of all of us - the only one who isn't looking/smiling is Drew (he is doing his super hero pose). Look through the blur of the photo - what do you see? Those are some damn fine lookin folk!
Photobucket

Thanks so much Uncle Wes! Your place is fantastic and you are a most fabulous host! We love you!!!

2 comments:

mike said...

hey, we have good shopping, good food, and good drink, you just need to visit in the summer when chicago really shines! :)

Jac said...

A great looking family!!