Thursday, March 24, 2011

Izzy's Report Card

Izzy brought home her first report card from her "new school". I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't really read it, at first. I checked the "key" and saw that the highest score one could receive was a "c" for "consistently demonstrated" (her work meets grade level expectations) When I saw that everything was marked "c" I did a quick search for the section on social development and moved on. I've said it before, that in kindergarten my biggest concern is not the academics, but the socialization. I saw that she respects authority and the property of others, follows class rules/procedures, demonstrates self-discipline and responsibility, and most importantly cooperates with others. Perfect. I was happy.

It was as I was reading the note from her teacher that Izzy approached me and wanted me to tell her what her report card said. I told her about the socialization and how proud that makes me (her daddy too) and then began to look at the other stuff she was scored on. Reading, Communication, Writing, ...and then I see Algebra and Geometry! Now I am sure this is code for shapes and counting apples, but really? How ridiculous does that sound?

So her teacher wrote: Wow! I am so impressed with the transition Izzy has made into the classroom! She is a SUPER STAR! The happiness she shows us everyday is contagious. Izzy is growing as a reader & writer every week. She loves to share her creative ideas and the illustrations that accompany. She has no problem standing before her class & talking! Izzy has easily mastered all math objectives for the 9 weeks, as well! She is a careful worker. Let's keep an eye on letter & number reversals. Great job Izzy!!

The next part of her report card was a "Writing Assessment". Izzy had to draw 3 pictures and write 3 corresponding sentences on the steps to making a good sandwich. She drew her pictures and wrote:

1. I Tak Ot the Bred. (I take out the bread)
2. I Pot on the Trke. (I put on the turkey)
3. I Pot it on the Plat. (I put it on the plate)

Pete and I couldn't be happier with the progress she has made and although we still have some days with tears they are farther and fewer between!

0 comments: