Sunday, March 27, 2011

Kindness Owl Award

I mentioned earlier that the only thing I was really "concerned" with on Izzy's kindergarten report card was how she is doing socially. I want her to have respect for others, good manners, follow directions, listen, be kind to others, and show empathy. I could not have been more proud (Pete too...so much so that he put it on facebook) when the day after report cards came home Izzy told me she had gotten a "kindness owl award". I asked what it was for, and if she knew why she received it? She did.

Izzy has a boy in her class named Timothy. I believe Timothy struggles a bit academically because Izzy has mentioned a couple times that "Mr. Jim" will come into class to help him with his schoolwork. Unfortunately Timothy's dad recently passed away. From the stories Izzy tells, Timothy is having a tough time in school. He often gets his "turtle" moved (form of reward/punishment type system) and recently even wet his pants. Last Wednesday the children were given the option to pick what center they would be participating in that day. Izzy picked a center with her best friend Brianna, and Timothy picked "small blocks". When no one else picked to be in centers with him, he became upset and started to cry (something Izzy told me he is doing alot of lately). Well sweet Izzy raised her hand and asked her teacher if it would be okay for her to switch centers and work with Timothy. sniff, sniff, tear, tear for proud moment pause :)

How great is that? When Izzy told me this story I smiled so big and told her how proud I was of her! I told her these are the things that make her daddy and I so happy, and I thought I could feel my heart getting bigger cause I loved her so darn much at that moment! ...she knew I was proud cause everytime she looked at me the rest of the day I would just smile real big at her.

Those are the actions/moments that remind me through all the bad stuff, and as rotten as I think I am as a mom somedays, I (and Pete) must be doing something right! ...cause it can't all be just her, can it?

2 comments:

jac said...

Izzy's kindness never ceases to amazes me. She truely has the biggest heart for any lil' girl I know! I wish I could give her a big hug!

Corey~living and loving said...

Your girl is wonderful. :)something right, indeed. ♥ Sugar is so shy. I like to think she would want to go play with him...but she rarely ventures away from her good friends.