Monday, September 26, 2011

Drew is 5!

The day before Drew's 5th birthday he woke up and asked, "Can we celebrate the last day of me being 4?" Sure, I said. This was followed up with, "And the day after my birthday can we celebrate me being 5 and one day?" Course we can.

...and that is what life with Drew seems to be like these days. He is the funniest kid I know or have ever known for that matter (and I've known quite a few). He is quick with one liners (just like his daddy) and scary smart (again like his daddy), yet he can also be the most loving, sensitive little boy (like his mommy).

So on Sunday night (the day before Drew's birthday) we had dinner at the Mahnen's and sang to Drew the ever popular "Happy Last Day of Being 4" song.

Photobucket

And then he got to open this super cool Stormtrooper helmet!

Photobucket

Today he requested a cinnamon roll for his birthday breakfast...on the special plate of course.
Photobucket

I love to watch him make a wish, and then blow...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also asked him what he wanted for his birthday dinner and he replied "a cookie dough ice cream cake". I asked if those are even made and he replied, "guess we'll find out!"

Drew headed out to school wearing his 5th birthday shirt. So Drew!

Photobucket

I love that Pete tries his darnedest to make the kids birthday celebrations at school. I am fortunate that I am in both kids classrooms quite often so to see me is no big deal. But when Pete shows up in a classroom the kids get way excited! Here we are celebrating in Drew's classroom this morning.

Drew realizing that Daddy had come along to celebrate his special day at school...
Photobucket

We were early so we got to see Drew in action as the class leader.
Photobucket

Photobucket

He chose to bring in a cookie cake as his special treat.
Photobucket

Posing with a mouthful of chocolate chips :)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Drew will celebrate his birthday with a friends party after we get back from Disney in October, so for today we took him and his best bud Jack to Blackbeard's Cove. It is amazing how much fun can be had in one hour with $20 worth of tokens. The boys played game after game after game. And took in a game of mini-golf (1.5 holes for Drew and 3 holes for Jack).
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Once Izzy got out of school Drew was able to open his presents from us. Izzy was so cute and made him a treasure map to find where she hid all the gifts. It was such a hit that Drew has already requested a treasure hunt to find his gifts next year.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

He got all sorts of loot: Smurf figurines, Batman characters, Lego Watch and a 3DS! Mom scored by heading to a garage sale early the day before his birthday to get ds games for $5-$10. This was quite a find since the games he wanted were $30 used at Gamestop.

For dinner he requested dinosaur nuggets and mac-n-cheese. Pete and I both prefer Izzy's dinner requests of steak :)
Photobucket

And for dinner - a cookie dough ice cream cake made by me! Once I realized how hard it would be to find one, and then how expensive it would be, I decided to whip one up on my own. I even added the crunchy fudge layer!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was so good that he has already requested that I make one for his next birthday!

0 comments: