Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Boy and His Tools

Drew is a big fan of toy catalogs. Prior to Christmas he became fixated on a picture of Handy Manny tools in one of our catalogs and made those one of his requests from Santa. Once all his gifts were open he had every tool except for the blue flat head screwdriver Turner. Drew was so happy with all his tools, but also so sad that he was missing Turner. So, every time I would leave the house Drew would ask me, "Mama, you goin to buy me Turner? You go to the tore (store) and get me Turner?" EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!

To say that Drew is obsessed with these tools would be an understatement. These tools go everywhere with him - much like his Buzz Lightyear Tupperware container hat (which he is still sporting). As a matter of fact the other day we dropped Izzy off at dance and I had accidentally put the tools in her dance bag, rather than my purse, when Drew gave them to me. I had to then interrupt her class to look in her bag for them once I realized I had not put them in my purse. At bedtime, every single tool, plus Batman figures, accompany Drew too bed. I am then usually called once or twice to fetch a tool or guy that has fallen out of the crib. You see, Drew will talk and play with those objects for nearly an hour before he falls asleep.

So, a couple days ago I was at Home Depot and Pete called me. He told me that Izzy needed to talk to me. Izzy gets on the phone and proceeds to tell me that Drew just got up from his nap and asked where I was. She told him I was at the store, and he immediately asked her if I was buying him Turner. The kid was relentless. He wasn't annoying about it, nor was he begging for it, but rather he was simply asking for Turner. He needed Turner. Simple as that.

I left Home Depot and went to Target for Turner. Turner was not sold in a two pack of tools like the other tools. Maybe he is sold that way, but if so he was not at my Target. What was at my Target was an entire tool box of the Handy Manny tools. So, I buy it. I buy it because I love that boy to pieces and he was so darn cute always asking if I was on my way to buy it. I bought it because I am a sucker mom. ...I also bought Izzy a really cool flashlight that you put images over the top to shine on the ceiling: princess themed. Drew's gift: $27. Izzy's "Mom had to buy you something because she can't show up empty handed after giving your brother a singing tool box" gift: $3. Izzy's flashlight is WAY cool for $3.

Photobucket

The best part...I have been thanked countless times in the last 72 hours for that Turner and toolbox. Numerous times a day I hear, "Tank you so much for buying me my Turner. I wuv my Turner and my toolbox Mama. Tank you so much for getting him for me. I wuv you Mama. I wuv my Turner too." It never gets old hearing his little voice being so appreciative.

He carries those darn screwdrivers everywhere. Heaven forbid we lose one...
Photobucket

Not only is he known as Buzz Lighyear and Mr. Incredible, he has also now become Handy Manny. I am the "Kelly" to his Handy Manny. In fact last night after I gave him his dinner he said, "Thanks Kelly." Pete asked if it bothered me that he often refers to me as Violet or Kelly and it doesn't. I find it cute.

Mr. Fix It working on his recorder. Aunt Jaclyn got these recorders for the kids for Christmas, per my suggestion, ...WHAT WAS I THINKING??? Do you know what dueling toddler recorder parades sound like?
Photobucket

Here he is putting his tools back in the box before heading off to another job...just a boy and his tools.
Photobucket

0 comments: