Friday, June 20, 2008

On the Road Again

Well, two days ago the kids and I decided to take a quick last minute getaway to good 'ole Cleveland. Wooster, actually. So within a day I gathered our stuff together and packed the car for our 8 hour trip. Al, my stepdad, has not been feeling so well so we thought he needed some Izzy love to make him smile. Both my parents haven't seen Drew since March so they were in for a shock when they saw how much he has changed!

Pete had been out of town and hadn't seen the kids in a couple days. For him to see the kids prior to us leaving I would have to wake them by 7:30. I woke the kids so they could see Daddy before he had to leave for work. I packed up the car while the kids played a bit and then we were on the road at 9:30. I must say that I am shocked by how little I actually packed. Usually my car is filled! I even had room for Izzy's bike. The snacks were in the front with me, and the toys were below Drew's feet. Other than that we just had luggage.

Photobucket

Not a bad pack job if I do say so myself
Photobucket

At one point along the way I noticed Drew had put on his sunglass - upside down!
Photobucket

We made it three hours before we stopped for lunch. ...oh, we also had a 45 min. delay outside of our first tunnel. Typically this is the point that I also refuel, but since gas was $4.12 I figured I could do better. My fear always is that a child will fall asleep and then I will need gas only to then have the sleeping child wake up when the car stops. Thankfully this didn't happen and I was able to find gas for $3.99.

Drew eventually slept for almost an hour. Once he woke up we made a pit stop at a rest area so the kids could burn off some energy. We also had a potty break and got some treats out of the vending machine. Darn machine ate my $5 bill only to give me pop-tarts. Thankfully I was able to find some loose change so Izzy could get her treat. I filled out a form to have my money refunded. ...cause I am sure that will happen.

Rest Area Fun
Photobucket

Flower picking - doesn't everyone stop to pick the flowers at a rest stop?
Photobucket

And a game that parents and children both love on a long road trip...the uphill run to chase birds. ...a game only a 3 year old would invent - yet both entertaining and hopefully tiring!
Photobucket

I have some more cute individual pics of Drew hill rolling and screaming (just to burn off some steam) but this computer is SO SLOW that it would take much too long!

Once back in the car we only had about 2 hours to go. The kids did great! Drew became a bit restless with 45 min. left or so, but nothing some loud music and songs could fix.

Omi and Papa were SO excited to see the kids. Izzy and Papa took a golf cart ride while Drew, Omi and I unpacked. We then had a "pick and eat" dinner. Drew had oatmeal, cheese and raisins. Izzy had a pb&j. I had wine.

Bedtime went so smoothly that it was almost eerie.

Tomorrow we are going to hit the new library and pool!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Delaney misses Izzy so much. She asks everyday if she is coming home. She has told everyone she knows that we are planning the "Welcome Home Izzy Feast." She also says that Drew is invited too.