Thursday, June 5, 2008

Time Out

Because I don't want to forget this story I felt I should quickly write about it now.

Drew has yet to be put in a time-out. I am not sure if I haven't done it because I don't think he will "get it" or because I am too lazy to start the process? He is only 20 months :) I think it is because I am lazy. I know once I start I will have to follow through. I will have to use the "Supernanny method" and continue to put him back in the "spot" until he stays for his minute. I am SO not ready for that!

The kids were having a popsicle after dinner while I cleaned up the kitchen (from pizza I ordered to have delivered on our way home from the pool - that was one tough dinner clean up). Izzy said she was ready to get down and I asked her if her hands were sticky. She said they were so I went to wipe her up. Drew was next to her in his highchair and was brushing melted popsicle off his highchair tray onto the floor. Izzy thought this was funny and after I cleaned her up she stuck her hands back in her melted popsicle. I told her if she did it again then she would be put in a time out. Sure enough I wiped her hands and she stuck them back into the sticky mess. The little booger looks up at me and says "guess that means I need to go in a time out, huh?". You betcha!

As we are walking to our designated timeout spot she asks me if Drew were to put his hands back in his melted popsicle will he be put in a timeout. I assure her that he will. You want to know what she said???? She said "well, if Drew is going to start getting time-outs now then how bout I give him my timeout spot and I get a new spot in the playroom". Hmmmm, let me think about that. NO! I told her nice try.

So, as she is now sitting in our timeout spot against the wall in the kitchen I begin cleaning up Drew. Thankfully she is unable to see me because I have no intention of actually putting Drew in a timeout. However, I am saying to him that if he doesn't listen to what mommy says then he will be placed in a timeout. Meanwhile Little Miss Rule Maker is talking to me the entire time (so not even phased she is in a timeout) and saying "make sure you tell Drew that he has to stay in this spot, but if he doesn't want to sit then he can stand, just so long as he doesn't move. Also, make sure you tell him that he can yell and cry for you but that you won't talk to him until after the timeout beep goes off". This is all stuff that I have told her and she is now making sure I communicate to Drew. Guess she wants to make sure I don't forget to cover anything. Thank goodness I have a 3 year old who is able to remind me of the rules I CREATED! ...as if I forgot them? I admit she doesn't get put in timeout often, but the rules aren't to hard to remember :)

My days are numbered before I have to actually start putting Drew into timeouts. I can only make excuses for him for so long before my "too smart for her own good" 3 year old catches on.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

That is the cutest story! Izzy just cracks me up!