Saturday, December 13, 2008

Just the Driver

Today Pete and I split up :) We each took one kid and ran errands. I don't know if Pete has ever taken just Drew with him before? While the guys headed to a manly store, Home Depot, us gals went Christmas shopping.

Today was Izzy's trip to the Dollar Store to do her holiday shopping. She was super excited! She even talked to Omi (my mom) on the phone on the way there to tell her what we were doing. As we were driving Izzy and I went over the list of who she needed to buy for. She was very concerned that I might see the present she was going to pick out for me. I assured her that she could get mine last and then get into the check-out line and I would promise not to peak. She is smart and asked me if I would please show her where she needed to pay when we got to the store so she knew where to go. I told her that I needed to be able to see her at all times, but that she was on her own and could pick out whatever she wanted for people. She then said to me with the such sweet innocence, "Mom, you know...I can do everything at the store by myself. I really only need you because I can't drive yet." So smart that kid ;)

I had visions of us perusing the entire store before selecting anything for anyone. I figured she would need to see what all she could choose from. Reality: Izzy chose gifts for 7 adults and Drew within the first three rows! She then picked up a gift for two of her friends. I handed her basket over and she got in line. She was 4th in line and looked SO cute! There were some very sweet people both in front and behind her and commented how big she was. She then smiled politely, but didn't speak. I was a few feet away and explained how she was doing her Christmas shopping. Oh how those old folks loved that. They got all weepy eyed on her. After she placed all her gifts on the conveyor belt she yelled to me that I could come pay now. If I would have had enough cash I would have let her pay herself, but I had to use my card. Once the things were all bagged up she insisted on carrying them to the car.

Now that we are back home she has taken everything up to her room for us to wrap. I asked if she wanted to wrap them after quiet time and she said no. She said she needed to play with a couple of them first :)

Pete and Drew got home shortly after us and I asked Pete how it went with Drew. He said he was very entertaining to all. He was wearing his Drew shirt and a Santa hat. I can only imagine that he probably waved and said hi to everyone while also wishing them a "Happy Thanksgiving"...we need to inform him that Christmas is upon us.

Next up...Gingerbread House!

0 comments: