Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Road Trip

The kids and I had to take an unplanned trip to Reading, PA. My uncle passed away on Thanksgiving night so today we find ourselves hanging out in a hotel room.

Uncle Wes left yesterday, and Uncle Andy left early this morning. Wes will be flying to Philly to meet the family, but unfortunately Andy does not have enough leave time to make the trip. With Pete unable to get out of a work commitment (he did offer but I told him I would be fine) it was the kids and I off on another road adventure.

Other than me unable to find my way out of our OWN city, our drive could not have gone any smoother. We left our house just before 9 am and arrived at 4:30ish. I had planned to leave earlier, but some of the surrounding schools were either delayed or closed and I didn't have to get here by a certain time so I didn't want to be on the roads if they were slick. With Pete not using his GPS I was able to snag it and let me tell you that thing is a lifesaver! I haven't liked using it in the past, but I never would have made it through the D.C. area without it.

The kids and I only made one stop in what was an 8 hour drive. I think the drive took more like 7.5 hours though. We stopped once at McDonalds for ice-cream for the kids (they ate lunch that I packed), lunch for me, and a Madagascar toy for the kids.

We are staying at the GREATEST hotel. I got the kids and I a suite because it will work better for sleeping babes. Included in our price is a buffet breakfast and buffet dinner. Tonight for dinner we had pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, green beans, salad and bread. Then cookies for dessert. The best part is that you can also get wine or beer for $.10 a glass. How fabulous is that? Right now I am sitting in my room, typing up this blog, and having a glass of wine.

Here are a couple pics...

I had to get creative being all on my own and getting the luggage and kids up to the room.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Izzy taking control of the remote.
Photobucket

Playing in the sleeper sofa.
Photobucket

Watching a show. Honestly, they have been SO GREAT today. But it is now 7:30 and I am getting ready to take them to my aunt's house when really they should both be in bed.
Photobucket

Tomorrow I need to have us all up, dressed, fed and to the church by 9am. It will be a long day for my family, but even longer for my kids. I have my fingers crossed that they will bring comic relief when needed. I am also hoping they choose to listen to me when it is really important. I am nervous that because today went so well, tomorrow won't.

...my biggest concern is that I have hopefully explained death to Izzy on a level that she understands at age 3.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Molly but I'm so thrilled that the kids are doing so well for you.

I hope they continue to be their little angel selves the whole time!

Cyn said...

I hope when you read this you are safe at home and the kids tucked into bed. I send you my love and deepest sympathy. My prayers are with you and your family at this time of loss. Around the holidays seem to always be a bitter sweet. We lost my grandmother 2 years ago today. All my love to you!