Friday, December 5, 2008

Reading, PA

So today was a hard day (December 3rd). It was my uncle's funeral. It was a beautiful service with so many people sharing wonderful stories about my uncle. Uncle Glenn had such a quick wit about him and always kept you laughing. Hearing so many stories was just the comic relief needed from the sadness of the day.

Onto the kids. I can't say enough about how great Izzy and Drew have handled the entire trip thus far. I had to get all of us up, dressed, fed and out the door, and to the church by 9. When I woke Drew up, he looked at me and then immediately buried his head back in his blanket and said, "No Mama! I say NO Mama!"

Once at the church, I was able to steer the kids past the viewing and into the church nursery. The church had arranged for sitter to watch the kids. For those that know me, and my children, you are aware that we don't separate well. Izzy has always been very attached to me, and Drew is following suit. I don't go to the YMCA to work out because after 15 min. they come get me. I stopped going to MOPS because they would eventually have to come get me. I don't drop the kids off for playdates because it is too stressful. ...and we have only had a couple babysitters and usually Izzy opts to go to bed before we leave. SO, I was not to hopeful that this church nursery scenario was going to work. Not only did the kids do great, but they were in there for 4 hours! A couple times during the viewing someone would stop in and say hello to them, but for the 90+ min. service they were on their own. I was so overjoyed that it worked out as well as it did. I really wanted to see the service and thankfully I was able.

I chose to hop out of the funeral procession line to the cemetery and instead took the kids for some lunch. Where? Chuck E Cheese! I thought the kids could blow off some steam, and I really wanted to enjoy my babies having fun after the emotional morning. So we hung out for about an hour and then headed to the reception celebrating my uncle.

Izzy had a thing for the horses...
Photobucket

Drew was more into watching Chuck...
Photobucket

or sitting right beside him...
Photobucket

Here they are riding together...
Photobucket

Drew's favorite game was the whackamole game. Look at the concentration.
Photobucket

The kids also had a good time dancing in front of the blue screen and watching themselves on the tv's.
Photobucket

After playing lots of games, and picking up random tickets off the floor we collected enough tickets for eye patches and mini lollipops.
Photobucket
The eye patches have brought hours of entertainment for both Izzy and Drew. I have had to use lots of tape to fix tears where the elastic breaks away. ...maybe Santa can find some sturdier ones? ...it also makes me realize that the capes I bought for Christmas are going to be a big hit. Those little buggers love to pretend ;)


After the reception we quick grabbed our swimsuits from our hotel and headed to Uncle Wesley's hotel to swim. Mom, Al, Aunt Barbara, Cousin Mark and Uncle Wes all hung with us while we went swimming and then we all just hung out a little while longer. Finally it was back to the hotel where the kids crashed hard!

A picture with Omi and Papa...
Photobucket

0 comments: