Monday, March 23, 2009

Another Izzy Update

We are currently 11 days post cast. Progress has FINALLY been made. When I picked up Izzy at school on Friday she came "walking" out. A teacher held each hand, but by golly that girl was finally upright.

Sunday, Izzy sang at church, and we ran into Dr. J. He asked how she was doing and I said, "better, but not great." I asked if he would take a look at her after the service and he agreed.

So, for Dr. J, Izzy demonstrated how she could jump, balance on her "broken" leg then kick with her other foot, and also kick with her "broken" leg. Dr. J reminded Izzy that her leg was no longer broken and she just needed to work to make it stronger again. ...wasn't this what Pete and I had been telling her? Regardless she now refers to her broken leg as her "old broken leg" ...kind of like the artist formerly known as Prince.

Sunday night rolls around and Izzy wants to go to the grocery store with me. I tell her that she can't because I am tired of carrying her. "I will walk. I promise." Good to her word, slowly but surely she held onto the cart and walked. Once we got home I dug out the kids walker from the deepest darkest corner of the basement. I presented it to Izzy and told her she learned to walk with this walker once, and would learn to do it again.

I wish I would have thought to use this earlier. Here she is this morning getting ready for school.
Photobucket

Look, no hands! (and I had yet to do her hair for school)
Photobucket

On the drive to school this morning I said to Izzy, "won't your teachers be so surprised when they see that you can now furniture walk? You can show them how you can hold onto the table to walk around and balance." Do you know what she told me? She told me that her teachers had already seen her walk the last day (meaning last Friday) when she walked around in the play kitchen. I was shocked and said, "You did this at school last week and didn't come home and show me? How come you did it at school, but not for me?" Wanna know what that little bugger said? Do you? She said, "cause my teachers asked me to." Yup, her teachers asked her to stand up and try walking. That is why she did it. Excuse me, but I have been trying to do that for over a week?

On a scary note, once we got home from school I put Izzy in the kitchen and went back out to the car to get some stuff. When I left her, she was standing. When I came back upstairs she was in the family room, crying and clutching her left ankle (broken leg side). She said she was walking on her own and then fell down and hurt her foot. I assured her that it was not broken again, and that it was just weak which is why she fell. Sheesh!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoa, whoa, whoa! you guys go to church with Doctor J!?!? who cares about izzy's leg, that guy is a legend!