Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Cast is Off

Yesterday was the day. What a day it was!

Izzy was super excited to get her cast off. Pete and I thought we had prepped her pretty well for the visit. We were cautiously optimistic about the cast coming off for good. We made her aware that there was a slight chance it might not get to come off. We also told her the doctor would use a saw to cut it off and while it won't hurt her, it would be loud and might feel funny. We also let her know that her leg wouldn't feel quite right and it wouldn't be strong enough to immediately start walking on.

On our way...
Photobucket

Look at this smile while we wait our turn...
Photobucket

I thought Izzy would have x-rays to determine whether or not she would get her cast off. I was wrong. First the cast is removed and then x-rays are done.

Starting the saw...
Photobucket

The saw was loud. Izzy was nervous and scared but did not start crying until AFTER the cast was removed. Drew just wanted to get to the saw. Hey, if it is loud and dangerous then it is right up his alley.
Photobucket

Getting ready to pop the cast off.
Photobucket
...after this picture the camera batteries died. I even changed them right before we left - apparently not with new ones, huh?

So, as soon as the cast was off Izzy became VERY emotional. Pete took Drew back to the waiting room so I could concentrate on Izzy. I wasn't really sure why she was so emotional honestly. She wouldn't answer any questions I tried to ask her and she couldn't tell me why she was crying? Apparently she didn't really know why she was so emotional either? Next it was time for x-rays. Those were tough! She couldn't move her leg and the techs were trying to get her to keep her knee down, toes pointed up, blah blah blah. Thankfully I was able to stay with her this time (the first time I was not allowed to stay in the room).

Once the doctor came to go over her results, Pete and Drew came back into the room. Thankfully the fracture has healed. I have NO IDEA how I would have gotten her to sit through another cast being applied? She is on restricted activity for the next 2-3 weeks. No jumping, running, rough playing, playground activity, etc. She can walk, once she is able, but that is about all. Her leg is VERY stiff from what the doctor says and could take a week or two until she feels comfortable enough to walk on it.

Currently she is still acting like her cast is on. I continue to carry her everywhere. Her mood yesterday was very sad to witness - almost like she was very depressed. She had a nice long bubble bath last night and I think that helped loosen her up a bit. Shortly after her bath she was much more active and I could see her touching her leg as if she was trying to figure it out.

Today we went to the pool for a couple hours. She was able to float on her back and kick both legs. She really enjoyed swimming so we will try to go every other day until she starts trying to walk again. She also took a "bath" in our kitchen sink this afternoon. Drew was sleeping and she wanted to soak in the tub while I was cleaning. I suggested the kitchen sink and she played there for 45 minutes! While I want her to be able to walk again so I know she is okay, I also think the longer it takes her to get fully mobile the less time I will spend telling her "be careful".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Timmy and I just signed on to see how you are doing again this morning! He can't remember getting his cast off, so he was very interested. He walked around with his arm cradled for a while, just enough to worry me into thinking he would need physical therapy, then used it as normal. Hope its the same for you
Finals week for Aunt Sue.
Love
Sue and Timmy

Corey~living and loving said...

how exciting. She is such a brave little one. :) I hope she gets used to her it soon, and it all goes well.
have a great weekend.