Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Going to the Zoo Zoo Zoo...and the Doctor

So for Izzy's last day in her cast we decided to take a trip to the zoo. It was a perfect day - sunny and low 60's. The kids and I packed a picnic lunch and headed out!

As I was putting the kids in the stroller, I noticed Drew was messing with his ear. He had also been pulling at it the night before. I asked him if it hurt and he told me no. As we were walking he continued to pull at it and then started scratching it (with his dirty boy hands). It was then I remembered that two days earlier I had wiped some dried blood off his ear from what looked like a bite. I took a look and noticed there was now a rather large red bump. Hmmmm, I am quite cautious when it comes to head wounds being so close to the brain and all. Sooooooo...I put a call into the doctor and they set us up for an appointment later in the day.

Into the zoo we went. After seeing a couple exhibits we reached the playground. No stopping Izzy in her cast - she can slide with the best of 'em.

Photobucket

Drew being all boy quickly left the actual playground equipment and decided to climb the retaining wall.

Photobucket

We saw some more animals and then stopped for ice-cream. It is after seeing this picture that I wished I knew how to use my photoshop stuff. I think it would be so fun to mess around with...

Photobucket

Unfortunately it was not easy for me to take pictures of anything or anyone due to the girl in the cast. I had to lift her quite a bit to get a good look at most of the animals. My favorite animals are the elephants so I did snap a picture of them.

Photobucket

Once we left the zoo we headed to the doctor's office. Drew fell asleep on the way and I realized I would be faced with my first real "cast" predicament. How was I to get both kids into the doctor's office? I certainly couldn't take in the double jogger stroller due to the size. Izzy couldn't walk, and Drew was asleep. Hmmmm. Are you wondering? Sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear how I did it? Well, I got a parking space right out front so I took Izzy in and sat her down and then went back for a sleeping Drew. Not too bad - 4 weeks and my first major cast problem.

While we waited on the doctor the kids decided to model their new shades.

Photobucket

Really, how cute is she? Come on!

...and she strikes random poses too :)
Photobucket

Let's not forget about the little guy - looking oh so studly.

Photobucket

It was a good thing that I did take Drew in to have his head looked at (I was feeling a bit silly) because it is infected. The doctor took one look at his head and said, "Oh my. That is certainly infected. It is a good thing you brought him in. We will want to start him on antibiotics right away." Now I hate that something is wrong with him and that he has to be on the nasty tasting antibiotics, but glad I wasn't labeled as "one of those moms" who over reacts :)

Next up....cast off!

0 comments: