Saturday, November 1, 2008

At School With Izzy

Do you ever wonder what you would do if you were invisible? One thing I would LOVE to do is watch Izzy in action at school. Since I am not invisible, nor are there any one way mirrors to view her classroom through, I did the next best thing and volunteered to help with her Halloween party.

Pete was super sweet and offered to take a half day off and keep Drew so that I could focus on Izzy's class. Izzy was super excited I was going to help out in her class and talked about it all week leading up until Friday.

The plan was for me to take Izzy and all our party supplies to school and then for Pete and Drew to meet us there for her Halloween parade. Here is Drew waiting for the parade to begin.
I was afraid he would meltdown when he realized he wasn't in costume and all the other kids were. However, I think he was so mesmorized by all the costumes that he forgot he wasn't dressed up.

Photobucket

Since I was one of the helper moms for the party, Izzy got to be one of two leaders for her class. The other co-leader was Sarah...her very best school friend. Here she is leading her class in the parade.

Photobucket

I love Izzy's expression in this picture. She reminds me of a teenager who is tired of her mom telling her to smile for the camera. I wish I didn't have to erase the faces of the other girls, but I haven't talked to the parents about putting them on the blog, because the other girls are smiling. Only Izzy is rolling her eyes at me...
Photobucket

After the parade, Pete took Drew home and I went up to Izzy's class. First up was circle time. Izzy and Sarah got to sit in the leader chair. Usually only one child is leader each day, this is based on who brings snack, but I think the girls really got a kick out of being co-class leaders.

Photobucket

Circle time starts with the morning prayer. Then each girl got to go look out the window and report back on the weather. After the appropriate weather pieces were displayed on the board, the girls dressed the frog based on their weather report.

Photobucket

Next they moved onto the calendar. They said the month and date and then got to do "31" (the date was Oct. 31) somethings. Izzy choose for the class to clap 31 times. I think her teachers were happy she didn't choose jumping!

Photobucket

After circle time it was time or me to lead the crafts that I brought. I didn't take any pictures because I was very busy! Izzy came over to talk to me for a minute, but then went about playing with her friends. As much as I loved helping do crafts, I loved observing her out of the corner of my eye. I had anticipated her acting differently and sticking by my side, but I was wrong. I think she carried on as if it was any other day. She giggled, ran around, made up stories, giggled some more, smiled big, and had fun playing at school. I LOVED watching her.

I brought two crafts for each child to do and worked with the kids two at a time. I ordered the crafts from Oriental Trading Co. and bought what I thought would be child friendly. Was I wrong! I had to do quite a bit of prep work to get them ready for the kids to do them at school. Note to self...don't start drinking prior to using a glue gun and trying to thread elastic through narrow wooden beads. I had the kids make a pumpkin paddle ball game and a flashing pumpkin necklace they could wear trick or treating.

Before I knew it my crafts were done and it was time for me to leave. I could have stayed for the last hour, but like most moms would, I decided to run a couple errands sans kids :)

0 comments: