Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Beach Trip

One of the reasons that I started this blog was to document all the travel we had planned for 2008. So far I have yet to blog about two of our biggest trips: Chicago in May and Ogelbay in July. The truth is that it just seems so overwhelming. I can't figure out a good way to retell the experiences and there are somany pictures to sort through. Oh, the hassle...but I am determined to get to it soon! Perhaps I will tackle Ogelbay this weekend?

For this vacation I think I will post a couple key pictures and then "slideshow" the rest.

I took it upon myself to plan this vacation months ago. I happened to be looking at our upcoming summer plans and noticed that there wasn't a true "just us" vacation planned. Pete and I both feel that it is important to try and take a family vacation as well as a couple's vacation each year. So far we have only done the family trips ;) Being that the beach is only a few hours away and we had no other beach trips planned it was a no brainer as to where to go. Last year we rented a house with another family and we had a great time. It was such a wonderful location that I thought it would be a good idea to return. Once the kids are older I am all for trying out new beaches, locations, etc. but since I knew this place would work well I booked us a villa.

I found this picture from last year and while I knew that Drew would look alot different, I wasn't prepared for how much older Izzy appears to me.

Last year (well, 15 months ago)
Photobucket

Last week
Photobucket

The vacation was wonderful. I don't think we could have asked for anything more. Pete was super dad and super husband! The kids had such a good time just having daddy's undivided attention for 4 days. On Saturday afternoon I decided that I wanted to nap. So I took Izzy into the bedroom with me and left Drew with Pete. I didn't tell Pete what I was doing, I just left. He peeked on me and asked what was going on. I told him that I was going to take a nap. He wondered what to do with Drew? I said whatever - you'll figure it out. I am happy to report that I slept for 3 hours and in that time Pete put Drew down for a nap AND made his own lunch ;) Way to go Pete!

The kids were great. I can't brag about them enough. Neither of them had adequate sleep, but their moods rarely showed it. I am sure all the outdoor activity helped. We went out to eat a couple of the nights and I am happy to report they were very well behaved. I did have to bribe with ice-cream, but I am okay with that.

We arrived at about 2 on Thursday and after we checked into our villa we headed over to the pool - with the kids play area.

Photobucket

Drew is carb loading prior to his big swim. Actually I just love his cute little body so I had to show it off.
Photobucket

The favorite of the pool was by far the submarine. Izzy entertained us all with many stories about why we were on the submarine, where we were going, and reasons we needed to abandon ship.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pete showed Izzy the dumping buckets
Photobucket

Photobucket

And the biggest bucket of them all!
Photobucket
After this bucket dumping, Izzy decided that she wanted to do it herself. Pete had to convince her that he needed to at least hold her hand because otherwise she might get knocked over from all the water. She got a ton of water dumped on her - but still wanted more.

As if outdoor swimming isn't enough we also hit up the indoor pool one night after dinner.
Photobucket

More pool pictures, should you want to see any...



What would a beach trip be without some trips to the beach? The first day on the beach Drew was a bit of a pill. I attributed it to the lack of sleep. He really just wanted me to hold him while he took everything in. Thankfully I was able to stroll him a bit and then he fell asleep. Izzy LOVED the beach. Again, superdad Pete is an awesome play partner - jumping waves, building sand castles, looking for shells, etc.

Thankfully Drew warmed up to the beach on the second day.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I just love these two pictures for no other reason then I just do.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And some more...


One morning while Pete was out running the kids and I walked over to Starbucks (kids still in pj's) and then found a really cool tree to climb on.

Photobucket

It was called the Broken Oak...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Poor Izzy just wanted to keep climbing higher and higher and I told her we needed to wait until Daddy was with us so he could spot her. Unfortunately for her we never went back.
Photobucket

Even better then climbing the tree was this puddle we found on the way back to our villa!
Photobucket



It really was a great "just us" vacation. It doesn't get much better than a day that starts out with Starbucks, and ends with children exhausted from lots of fun family play!

note: I remember telling Drew one night "I love you boo" and he said "I know Mama! I know." with a giggle. At least I know I tell him how much I love him - often!













3 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm so desperate to hit the beach with my family someday...hopefully soon.

Looks like a great "just you" getaway. Can't wait to hear about your trips from MONTHS AGO, you goon! :)

The Grider Diaries said...

Great pictures. My favorite is of Drew with the sunglasses on and pouting.

Anonymous said...

my goodness, looks like you guys had such a nice time! i hope one day I have similar stories to tell...so cute!