Friday, August 1, 2008

Izzy's First BIG Punishment

...well, she made it to 3 1/2 years old before I got to the point of wanting to beat her. I wouldn't really do that, but I was just so disappointed in her actions and behavior! Today is her half birthday and it is so sad that she was so rotten. If today is any indication of how the next 6 months will be then I am in trouble and so is she!

Before I get to why she is being punished, let me just tell you all that it is a TAX FREE WEEKEND here in good 'ole North Carolina!

Since it is a tax free weekend (on anything pertaining to school stuff: clothing, computers, supplies, etc.) I thought today would be a good day to go buy some of the clothing required for Izzy's dance class. She wanted to wear her hair back in a headband like me, and even did it herself. So cute ;)

Photobucket

This is what we needed: Attire: leotard, any color & white or pink tights. Shoes: pink split-sole canvas ballet shoes & black ribbon tie tap shoes.

I thought this would be such a fun trip to the store to look at leotards, get fit for tap shoes and see all the other fun dance related items. I told Izzy she would need a bag to carry her shoes in and that she could pick it out herself. She picked one and said she liked it because she knew I would like it too. And she's right it is totally my taste/style.

Photobucket

We got to the store and it was rather crowded. My kids were immediately drawn to the shelves in front of the register that had every small, breakable knick-knack imaginable. Okay, so maybe they didn't all break but they weren't things my 1 year old needed to mess with. Drew proceeded to dump a bucket of 100+ ballet themed pencils and then a box of tap heels. Izzy gets a bit out of control when Drew starts acting crazy so I knew this was going to be a quick visit.

Our first stop, shoes. She had never worn tap shoes so she was quite excited when she realized that they "tapped".

Photobucket

After her shoe fitting, while the salesgirl was explaining to me that I needed to SEW the elastic on her ballet slippers, Izzy disappeared into a rack of dance pants. She knows this is NOT OKAY! Completely unacceptable behavior in fact. Of course I have to tell her to get out in front of 20 people who have perfectly behaved children. Then Drew goes into the rack. Izzy follows! I am slowly losing all control...whatever, my control has been gone for a while. I am hoping no one is watching.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After I fetch both of them from the rack, and threaten Izzy with a timeout right in the store, we head to the leotards. I pick the one with spaghetti straps that I really want. $21. Sorry, gonna find a cheaper one for my 3 year old. I find 2 that are each $14. Are you wondering what my precious angels are doing at this point? Well, Izzy is choosing a dance bag and Drew is tossing all other dance bags over his head. Oh, how I do love the little monsters.

Onto tights...not sure if Izzy is a size 1-3 or 4-6. I grabbed 2 pair of 1-3 and one pair of 4-6. I am thinking the smaller size will fit her now even if they are a bit snug. I think kids in baggy tights look ridiculous! As I am trying to decide between the footed or footless tights I hear Drew say "Oh, so pretty! So pretty!". I turn around and he has now knocked no less then 15 beautiful tutu'd leotards off the rack! ...and is heading for a long white tulle dress with satin trim. Drew and white are not a good combination. I can just see him pulling the mannequin over...and laughing :)

I pick up Drew, and head to the register to pay. Standing at the register I am glaring at Izzy and telling her not to touch the hair pieces. She touches. I tell her not to touch anything and also state that she will sit in her room for an extended timeout when we get home. She tells me she doesn't want to sit in her room and then touches something else!

We head to the car where I am quietly explaining to Izzy that she will sit in her room. She tells me she doesn't "think" she wants to and I tell her that I didn't WANT her to misbehave in the store.

She was in her room for 30 min. During that time I heard her say (over her monitor) "How many troubles did you cause at the store? Let's count." She never came up with a number but I thought it was funny.

Oh, and almost MORE annoying then my terrible, no good, rotten,very bad, misbehaving children, would be the "my kids are so perfect" mom that followed us out of the store. She was paying on the register next to me and probably heard me tell Izzy how disappointed I was in her behavior. She also exited the store with us and was saying to her kids "I am so proud of how well you behaved. You were such good listeners and sat so patiently while you were being fitted for your slippers. Since it is so hot I think an ice-cream treat is in order." Would it be in bad taste, as well as a bad example, for me to just turn and b!tch slap her? I mean really, could she not see what I was dealing with? Did she have to rub it in? AND THEN MENTION ICE-CREAM IN FRONT OF MY KIDS?

I was thoroughly embarrassed and feel I have lost control of my kids in public.

Oh a good note, as I type this Drew is actually eating a pb&j sandwich! I have tried numerous times since Izzy loves them, but he always spits a bite out and says "oooooh, gross".

So what have we learned today:
Izzy and Drew should not be taken into a public store ever again.
I need to find another activity that doesn't involve me having to sew anything!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Well, at least it's been this long. I hate days like those...and what a mean bi-atch to rub it in like that. I love to praise my kids for good behavior too, but she should've waited to not rub it in.

Fo' sho'.

Sorry it was a rough one. Let's hope it was just today.

Kristin said...

The way you told the whole shopping experience story was hilarious by the way.

And makes me want a double stroller for the "just in case" times.